Perks and Features
If you’d like to go beyond typical grocery and supermarket fare, but don’t have the time to seek out alternatives, you can give Mouth’s subscription boxes a shot. This New York-based company has made it their mission to help people discover and acquire the best, most delicious and most interesting artisanal food and liquor products from independent makers from all over the US–while encouraging these small businesses to grow and thrive.
Mouth’s forte is not customer customization; as they are a discovery platform, curation is their game. The site offers a well-curated subscription service that allows you to choose from 18 different themes of boxes that will be delivered to your doorstep every month.
Online and Offline Shopping
Mouth isn’t limited to their box subscription service; they also maintain a well-stocked online shop. You can order individual products and even look for gifts to give other people by checking out their extensive online catalog. The shop section on the site is easy to navigate; products are divided into food and beverage categories that you can sort further using filters, like preferred flavor profile and allergens.
Mouth also runs a brick-and-mortar liquor store in Brooklyn, so if you’re in the area and would like a quick top-up, you can drop by for a bottle or two.
Dietary Restriction Options
Thanks to Mouth’s sourcing model, their products come separately wrapped and don’t mix during box packing. This means Mouth can flag products that contain common allergens and weed these out for customers with specific dietary restrictions. This is already very evident in their store selections and tags.
If you’re interested in subscribing to their monthly boxes but are not sure if the products are safe for you, you can send them an email to work out details; they coordinate with you to see if it’s possible to create boxes specifically to address your dietary needs.
What You Get in Each Box
No sampler trays here: you’ll get your money’s worth with each box, since Mouth sends full-sized packs of each product. Below is a list of all 18 different box themes, and what you’ll get each month if you subscribe to each of them.
- Indie States of America – 4-5 of the best indie goodies from around the country
- Obsessions – 5-7 goodies, themed monthly around one of Mouth’s favorite food obsessions
- Best of Mouth – 4-5 of the absolute best products on the indie food scene
- Snacks – a bestseller with 5 indie snacks, including 1 jar of delicious pickles
- Bourbon – 1 full-size bottle (750ml) of bourbon from a different craft distiller every month
- Cocktail Hour – 6 must-haves for a very happy hour each month
- Coffee – 2-3 full-sized bags of outstanding whole bean coffee, along with a short yet super-informative little lesson about that month’s coffee theme
- Cookies – 3-4 packages, with a total of at least 30 cookies
- Jerky – 3-4 awesome bags of jerky; including something unique, like turkey or salmon jerky
- Pickles – 3-4 amazing jars of pickles every month
- Indie-gredients – 5 pantry items, including Mouth’s favorite indie upgrades and cooking must-haves
- Cravings – 2 jars of Mouth’s most crave-able pickles and 2 sweet treats
- Bacon – 1 or 2 packages of bacon (your choice), plus 1 bacon-y treat
- Popcorn – 3 bags of the tastiest popcorn to hit our tasting table for a mimimum subscription duration of three months
- Whiskey – 1 or 2 full-size bottles (750ml) of craft whiskey a month, all drawn from Mouth’s whiskey collection
- Gin – 1 full size bottle (750ml) of a craft gin from a different indie distiller every month
- Vodka – 1 full size bottle (750ml) of craft vodka from a different indie distiller every month
- Wine – 2 or 4 bottles of American-made wine; a bottle of red and a bottle of white, though Mouth might sneak in a bottle of rosé or some sparkling wine from time to time
Note that you can’t mix and match subscriptions; meaning that when you pay for three months, for example, you can’t switch to a different box each month. Each subscription has a different price point. What you can do instead is to pay month on month, though that means that you won’t be able to take advantage of prepayment discounts.
Pricing and Shipping
As mentioned above, each box theme has a specific price point; and most can be paid for month on month or prepaid for three, six or 12 months. Month on month prices range from $54 to $82, with discounts when you prepay.
That subscription fee is exclusive of shipping outside the continental US, which is what really makes Mouth pricier than most. If you’re covered by the free shipping, you’re luckier than most; additional charges apply elsewhere: $20 for Canada and $65 for Alaska and Hawaii. For addresses beyond the US and Canada, Mouth suggests that you email them to coordinate, as they will need to calculate the consolidated fees and quote you fees for both your subscription and shipping/handling.
Depending on the destination, standard shipping takes one to five business days to be delivered. That’s on top of Mouth’s standard processing time of up to three business days, so expect a total wait time of two to eight business days following your order placement or the mid-month box shipping date. If that’s too long for you, Mouth also offers expedited shipping. Express shipping arrives in two to three business days, while overnight shipping arrives in one. This applies both to monthly boxes and regular store purchases. You can check out the table below to compare costs.
|Standard||1-5 business days||$11.99|
|Express||2-3 business days||$24.99|
|Overnight||1 business day||$44.99|
Products that require temperature-controlled shipping–like cheese, bacon, and salami–require an additional $25 cold-product shipping fee. Spirits and wine orders, meanwhile, will cost and additional $5 to cover the hassle of the legally required recipient signatures.
Aside from the usual email, Mouth keeps additional channels of communication open for customer inquiries. You can reach them via phone during weekday business hours, or send messages through Facebook, Twitter, and snail mail. You can also drop by the Mouth Indie Spirits and Wine Gallery in Brooklyn if you’d like to speak to their staff in person.
What's the Verdict on Mouth?
Mouth Review 2019 – Conclusion
Mouth’s subscription boxes come at premium prices, but overall, they deliver quality products that are well worth the cost. Their dedication to serving up the best from US artisanal producers means you can sample a wide variety of unique and unusual handcrafted food and beverages, and maybe even discover your new favorite snack source along the way. With 18 different boxes to choose from, you can be sure you’re only getting the products you’re interested in trying. Expedited shipping options plus the ability to buy items straight from their online store also give Mouth’s services more flexibility than your typical subscription box company. If you’re based in the US or Canada, Mouth is a great way to give local products a taste.